Platelet Rich Fibrin (PRF) is a self-produced biomaterial found in the body that helps accelerate the healing process of hard and soft tissue, bones, skin, is utilized in various medical procedures, and is considered to be a shortcut to significantly faster healing. In cosmetics, PRF can be used to improve skin rejuvenation, soften lines, and promote collagen growth. The concept is to withdraw a small amount of blood from the patient into vials and place them into a centrifuge. We take the blood vials for a first hard-spin in the centrifuge for up to 10 minutes to separate the blood components into different layers. Red blood cells will separate to the bottom layer while concentrated white blood cells and blood vessel growth factors will concentrate to the top layer. After the first spin, we extract the top layer—which contains less platelets but more clotting factors. This condensed layer gradually forms into a fibrin network and traps in the cytokines. We then take the extracted layer for a second soft-spin resulting in a fibrin layer containing platelets and plasma. Because there are no anticoagulative additives, PRF needs to be administered as soon as possible to reduce the amount of clotting. While this PRF is being prepared, your skin will be cleansed for the treatment.
- Dark circles around the eyes
- Fine lines around the mouth
- Hair growth
- Dull, rough, or grey skin tone and texture
- Sun damaged skin
- Acne scarring
- Crepey skin in the eye, neck, and decolletage areas
- Overall, the entire process should take between 45 minutes to one hour and does not require post-procedural exemption from scheduled daily activities. Though treatment time varies depending on the number of areas you are targeting.
- Approximately three treatment sessions are generally recommended, and spaced between one to two months apart, to achieve desired outcome. However, patients are welcome to schedule more treatment sessions depending on their needs.
Results begin to show three to four weeks after the treatment session and continue to improve over time.
Things to Do:
- Use an ice pack/gel for 24 hours on the treatment areas to reduce possible swelling and bruising
Patients who are taking blood thinning medication or non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) should discontinue their medication before the treatment according to medical instructions
Things to Avoid:
- Do not drink alcohol within 1 week after the treatment
- so as to avoid spicy foods, seafood, and other foods that may aggravate the injection site(s)
Not recommend to people with blood-related conditions, (anemia, blood or bone cancers)
Because PRF does not contain additional additives, it is very unlikely for your body to reject your own blood. Therefore, common side effects are usually last for a short time and are mild in nature.
- mild swelling
- slight itching
- other local side effects